Friday, March 15, 2013

DIY hair gel



  As a recovering consumer, I’ve been struggling since ‘greening’ my hair.  

  No, I haven’t dyed it green, I’ve just ditched the chemicals, particularly sulfates.

   Living the ‘no-poo’ life was made for curly folks like myself, but I have really missed gel.   You know, the softly sculpted, pretty, lasting curls that gel can give you.   When you have a tiny person tugging on your hair with all the fascination of the first paleontologist uncovering a T-Rex, ‘pretty’ can feel like a luxury reserved to your pre-baby days, no matter how much you fight it.

   I looked for some home-made gel recipes, but was mostly just grossed out because the main ingredient was always bovine gelatin.  Bovine gelatin?  Really?  That’s not a cow’s serving of jello, that’s a cow’s bodily tissues.  On.Your.Hair.  You don’t have to be a vegetarian to find that kinda gross.

"steer" clear of my hair, mister

  Then I came across another recipe.  

¼ cup flax seeds
2 cups water
  Elegantly simple.  

  Bring flax seeds and water to a boil.   Reduce heat and simmer, while stirring constantly, for twenty minutes or until the mixture gels. 
  
 Easy.

   Strain gel into receptacle.   Store in fridge for up to one month.   

 I didn’t have any whole flax seeds on hand when I discovered this recipe in the middle of the night, but I had some ground flax seeds so I tried it out – and it worked fine, though it was probably harder to strain.   

  When the concoction starting gelling, I have to admit I got pretty excited about it: it actually worked!  I just made hair gel on my stove in the middle of the night and didn't even wake up Evening!  Best thing ever.  

  If you’re still a bit uncertain or in utter disbelief, here’s a video from youtube that will take you through the steps. 


  Now that I’ve been using this gel for a few days, I have to say I’m in love.  My hair feels so soft and silky, and the gel holds the curl just like any drug store gel.  I like that it doesn't have a smell and I LOVE that it has zero bovine bits (and so does Bessie).   

  Flax seed is also really good for hair.  Curly hair tends to be dry, especially in winter, and flax seed is an awesome moisturizer, so using this gel should actually make my hair healthier with use.  Score!

  If you’re really into herbs, you’ll probably be able to think of a few to add into your gel to make it even better, but it’s not necessary.  For kicks, I added some Vitamin E (for shine) that I had in the cupboard.  Rosemary is also really good for hair, so you could add some essential oil, or stir in the herb while you are waiting for the flax seed and water to gel.  Study up your herbs and concoct your own special blend!  I know my next batch is going to have a few more herbal ingredients!

  I found that the whole batch fit perfectly in a 250 ml wide mouth 'elegant' mason jar - and the wide mouth makes it perfect to dip my fingers into when I'm doing my hair. 


   I hope you love this gel as much I do!
”Wildcrafting
Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

13 comments:

  1. That is the coolest thing ever!!! I loved your first line about being a recovering consumer...unfortunately I am a consumer of plants! Ha! But otherwise I am recovering too! This is a wonderful post sweet girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol - I think being a consumer of plants is just the right kind of consumer, though! This year I'm trying to be a consumer of seed packets only but that never seems to last....

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the natural hair gel recipe. Not only is it natural but it's also really good for your hair. I've been wanting to go "no poo" for a while but I'm too scared of the so called "transition phase" because my hair is very thin as it is so.. I don't think it would be okay. Maybe one day I will do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it took me a long time to work up the courage myself so I can relate. When you're ready, I'm sure everything will come together for you too. There are so many great scalp scrubs out there for transitions too. Let me know if you need or want some of those recipes!

      Delete
  3. Can't say I've every heard of that, how cool! I might have to try that one of these days, but must admit I'd like it to have a yummy smell!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your honesty! And you could probably add a favourite scent to the mixture as you make it...

      Delete
  4. Darned clever idea!! Thanks for sharing and linking to IA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, and thanks for hosting the challenge!

      Delete
  5. I have got very dry curly hair and have tried all sorts of things, none of which seem any use, I will give this a go! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no worries - I hope it works as well for you as it does for me!

      Delete
  6. This looks awesome! I'm also transitioning into being a "recovering consumer" and as I'm slowing giving up all my conventional products...but hair gel is something I keep clinging onto because I literally don't know how to have curly hair without it. It just turns into a frizzy poof! But your hair looks amazing so I'm excited to try this method! I have a question though, do you think fine mesh paint strainers would work instead of the pantyhose? Also do you keep your gel in the fridge?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marissa, congrats on giving up the conventional stuff - it's amazing how liberating it is once you get going! I cannot honestly tell you if a fine mesh paint strainer would work as I don't think I've ever come across one - but I do know the pantyhose works because it's flexible enough to let you fight it a little without breaking open. My advice would be to try it with your fine strainer, with a trusty pantyhose nearby just in case. You definitely have to keep the gel in the fridge, there are no preservatives in there and it will turn into an icky, stinky mess if you leave it out! I just grab it when I head into the bathroom for my shower and put it back in the fridge afterwards. Good luck!

      Delete
  7. I bet chia seeds would work too!

    ReplyDelete

embedded below post